While doing my grocery shopping a week ago, I completely forgot that it’s Ramadan ( and i was fasting at the time by the way! ) and we donot eat during the day! You can imagine how i stocked up then. So i got 2 trays of mortadella, only to realise that we don’t have breakfast anymore and my daughter’s nursery is closing in a day?
But all’s well that ends well they say right?! I was making iftar the other day according to my iftar menu, when I remembered i had to use up this mortadella before it spoils in the fridge. And since i was too lazy to make what i was supposed to, i decided on experimenting instead!
What i did next resulted in this mortadella pizza, bursting with Mediterranean flavors!! You have to try it to believe it!!
- 2 Pizza bases ( i used the frozen one from Al Karamah, and i like it’s thickness)
- 4 tbsps Pizza sauce
- 4 tbsps Ketchup
- 0.25kg Mortadella ( i had beef with black pepper)
- 20 Black olives
- 1 Avocado
- 1 tin Mushrooms ( drained and rinsed)
- Chedder cheese
- Mozarella cheese
- 2 green chillies
- Italian ( or normal) red chilli flakes
- Dried garlic
I used an italian spice mixture instead of the last three ingredients, because it had all of them in it.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees.
- Put the bases on a greased tray and spread the pizza sauce and ketchup over them.
- Lay the slices of mortadella next.
- Now top with olives, avocado and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle chunks of chedder cheese, chopped green chillies and all the spices.
- Sprinkle mozarella cheese all over.
- Bake for around 15-20 mins, until the cheese has melted and base has browned slightly at the edges.
You can add arugula leaves or even florentine sauce to give it a nutritional boost!